Don Cherry And Canada’s Highly Selective Culture of Forgiveness



Jim Geraghty, National Review: Canada’s Highly Selective Culture of Forgiveness

Don Cherry is an 85-year-old former National Hockey League player and coach who became an icon of sports broadcasting in Canada, known for wildly colored sports jackets and commentary that is almost as colorful. He’s already stirred the ire of progressives by complaining about European players taking over his beloved sport, being a self-described nationalist and Donald Trump supporter, and his career as a sportscaster appears to have come to a crashing end, as his employer, Canadian broadcaster Sportsnet, dismissed him Monday.

Read more ....

WNU Editor: For those who may not know. I am a hockey fan. Correction. A big hockey fan. And I have seen over the years more than my fair share of Don Cherry on TV in Canada. I will admit that he knows his stuff, it is just that he is loud and very opinionated. But that is his shtick, and many people enjoy watching it. I do not. I still remember decades ago his encouragement to NHL hockey players that they should crack the skulls of Soviet hockey players when they play against them. So his criticism  of "you people" for not buying poppies to remember Canada's fallen is quite mild. But for some reason this time around it was different, and the media frenzy to see him fired was quite a sight to see. Especially when the pundits who were the loudest to see John Cherry fired were also the same ones who gave Prime Minister Justin Trudeau a pass two months ago when he admitted that he did not know exactly how many times he wore "blackface" over the years. A double standard at play .... you betcha. As for Don Cherry's future, he has already received a job offer from Russia's top hockey team who would love to have someone like him commenting on hockey .... Don Cherry offered job by Russian hockey team to 'talk whatever he thinks' (The Guardian). I hope he takes the job. Knowing my fellow Muscovites, they will love his comments and analysis on the game.

Update: Something that I forgot to say. On Sundays I go to a massive fruit and vegetable store that caters primarily to the ethnic community. This Sunday when I was there I did a quick survey on who was wearing poppy. I would say only 5 had a poppy, and about 75 did not. I was one of those 75 who was not wearing a poppy. But yes .... I usually do wear one.

More News On The Case Of John Cherry

Sportsnet announces Don Cherry to immediately step down from HNIC -- Sportsnet
Hockey commentator Don Cherry fired for rant over immigrants -- AP
Canadian hockey commentator Don Cherry fired over inflammatory remarks toward immigrants -- Reuters
Don Cherry removed from Sportsnet following 'you people' rant on Hockey Night in Canada -- CTV News

Subscribe to receive free email updates: